The West Ashley High School offense looked nearly unstoppable against crosstown rivals James Island Charter High School as they racked up 460 yards in the 23-17 victory. last Friday night at Wildcat Stadium But WAHS had to hold off a scrappy Trojans team that made thing interesting in the fourth quarter, scoring twice and coming back to within a touchdown of the Wildcats who had controlled the tempo up until that point. But in the end WAHS would hold on for their second victory in as many weeks, doubling their win total from a season ago.
Junior running back Marquize Jenkins had a huge game, gaining 147 yards rushing, including a 56-yard touchdown run and also threw for a score. Junior Quarterback Pedro Manigault added 85 rushing yards for the Wildcats.
From the opening whistle, WAHS looked to be in command, driving 65 yards on their first series only to see it stalled out when quarterback Pedro Manigault fumbled into the Trojans’ endzone.
But WAHS head coach Bobby Marion had a few tricks up his sleeve. The Wildcats faked a punt early in the fourth quarter on a fourth and 1 in their own territory. Upback Bobby Ruff took the direct snap and scooted 50 yards down to the JICHS 10-yard line. Then Marion used a little more trickery, calling a halfback pass, Jenkins connected with senior Logan Cooke for the game’s first score to give the Wildcats 7-0 lead.
But the tricks were not over there. Later in the second quarter WAHS ran a flea flicker from its own end zone. Manigault hit Cooke for a 72-yard gain deep into Trojan territory. Manigault finished off the drive with a 2-yard run, giving the Wildcats a 14-0 lead.
James Island would kick a 29-yard field goal before the half, cutting WAHS’s lead to 14-3 at the midway point.
Halfway through the third quarter Jenkins struck again, showing his speed as he blazed to a 57-yard touchdown, giving the Wildcats a 20-3 lead after a failed PAT attempt.
On the next possession, senior kicker Tyler Pentz hit a 46-yard field goal on extending the Wildcats lead to 23-3 heading into the fourth quarter. That’s when things got interesting. The Trojans suddenly showed a spark of life scoring twice in the final quarter and cutting the Wildcat lead to 6 with a just under 2 minutes to play. But WAHS recovered a Trojan onside kick, putting the game away.
This Friday, Sept. 13 the 2-0 Wildcats hope to continue to exorcizing their past demons as they travel to Summerville to face an 0-2 Ashley Ridge team who the Wildcats have never defeated.

Pin It on Pinterest