Taking Care of the Skin You’re in

Dermatology & Laser Center of Charleston provides free skin cancer screening for the public from Staff Reports For the 14th year, dermatologists and certified dermatological providers from Dermatology and Laser Center of Charleston will offer free skin cancer...

read more

MORE COMMUNITY

A Pleasurable Place For Picnics

Photo: The Santos sister gather at Pleasure Grove. From left to right: Dolly Santos Reynolds, Mamie Santos Harrison (Joe Harrison’s second wife) Inez Santos Grayson and Irene Santos Burk. (Photograph courtesy of Barbara Burk deWitt and Ruth Burk Gay) In 1916 Rene...

read more

Pedalling Back in Time

Photograph of bicycle ignites memories of a West Ashley aren’t familiar with     I think that is my bicycle in front of the Avondale Pharmacy in that picture in your paper.” That was the message left at the West Of Free Press office by Bobby Owens. The referenced...

read more

Know Your History

West Ashley History Series kicks off this month at Hurd/St. Andrew’s Regional Library Last year local historian and author Donna Jacobs was invited to do a lecture at the Cynthia Hurd/St. Andrew’s Regional Library in West Ashley. She was then approached about the...

read more

Picture Perfect

Time for the Obligatory Back-To-School Photo I’m standing in the Starbucks line in South Windermere scrolling through Facebook looking at all of the “obligatory first day of school pictures.” I find myself vacillating between “OMG I can’t believe that they have gotten...

read more

The Roots of His Optimism

West Ashley teen Caleb Smith wins 2018 Optimist International Oratorical World title It truly has left me speechless. I cannot express enough how much of an accomplishment this was to my family and I,” says West Ashley resident Caleb Smith. Ironic that someone who...

read more

If These Walls Could Talk

The Wall home in Magnolia was a hub of community activity If the walls of The Wall home on Anita Drive in the Magnolia neighborhood could talk there would be stories, and lots of them, for Lucy Ann Simpson (nee) Wall is known for her ability to craft a story with all...

read more

An Elk’s Life

West Ashley Elks Lodge is raising money to “adopt” Clark the Elk at Charles Towne Landing A few of years ago folks in the upstate started spotting a large elk bull roaming the woods, golf courses, streets, and even their neighborhoods. Folks nicknamed him the...

read more

West Ashley Flashback

House that Radio Built   The “House that Radio Built” is a popular story that has been passed down from several original residents of Avondale about one particular home on Oakdale in the neighborhood of Avondale. The details of the story were elaborated upon in a...

read more

West Ashley Flashback

The hooray moment came 75 years ago. On Feb. 23, 1943 the contract was signed with the Charleston Constructors. The March 13, 1943 edition of The Charleston Evening Post reported that: “The Charleston Constructors have ordered materials for construction of a water...

read more

Advertisement

advertisement advertisement advertisement

Pin It on Pinterest